Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Snippet

A Snippet is a new feature on my blog. I will quote a passage from a novel that particular strikes me and include why I enjoy it. I may take out the second part later. It seems like it may be overkill, but I don't know. Tell me what you think!

Today's quote is from The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch. I read this book a few years ago and saved this quote. Unfortunately, I did not write down the page number. If anyone knows, then I will love you forever! I mean it. :P Anyways,

"Those shells, as unique and timeless as bones, helped me realize that we all die young, that in the life of the earth, we are all houseflies, here for one flash of light."


Normally, mankind views themselves as the center of the world, and everything revolves around us. In this quote, Lynch reverses this thought by making us houseflies, which are commonly viewed as an insignificant part of the world. The quote conveys to readers that humans have one burst of life, and personally, it makes me want to make that burst of life count. I also love "timeless as bones." To me, it seems unusual to think of bones as timeless (I think of negative words like rotten first), although it's certainly true.

No comments:

Post a Comment